Who is David Marans?
The creator of Logic Gallery is David Marans, Professor of Logic at St. Thomas University, Miami since 1980. David was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1943 but grew up in Brooklyn. After earning a BA and an MA at the University of Miami he studied at Harvard and MIT. Logic is his area of specialization and he has been published in the Notre Dame Journal of Symbolic Logic among other places. He co-authored with Howard Posposel Arguments: Logic Exercises.
When he is not proving theorems of logic, David is a professional piano player and world traveler. He is also a student of American popular culture and writes about it here. David is married and is the creator of Logic Gallery, which can be purchased here.
He lists his heroes thusly:
- Logic: Aristotle, Gottlob Frege, Charles Sanders Peirce
- Literature: Thomas Mann, Sarah Orne Jewett, Sherwood Anderson, Frank Norris, Sinclair Lewis, Theodore Dreiser, Upton Sinclair, John Steinbeck
- Visual Arts: Norman Rockwell, Katharine Hepburn, Ansel Adams, Alfred Hitchcock
- Music: Richard Rogers, Jerome Kern, George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter
- Philosophy: Plato, Immanuel Kant, Brand Blanchard, Alfred North Whitehead
- History: Jacques Barzun, Will Durant, Martin Gilbert, Studs Terkel
- The Human Condition: Michel de Montaigne, La Rochefoucauld, Francis Bacon, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Eric Hoffer
Science can proceed only by correct forms of logic. So to not embrace logic is to never find truth. But by itself, logic is practically useless.
English, Anglo-Saxon Philosopher, historian, churchman, diplomat, and scholar. Defender of Thomas à Becket both before and after his murder.
First complete presentation of Aristotle’s Organon in Western Europe. An eloquent statement of Logic’s place in learning.
From Logic Gallery:
Famous Thinkers Images & Quotations
By David Marans